Quick & Easy Taco Casserole!
This is a super easy recipe that only takes a few minutes to put together and bake. It bakes fast and tastes great!
You can vary the amounts of the ingredients to your liking. All the ingredients go well together and you can't really go wrong!
- 1 average-size package of ground beef or ground turkey (we usually get extra lean)
- 1 Small can Tomato soup mixed with 3/4 can of regular or nonfat milk
- Approx. 2 cups of chunky salsa, Pace works well
- Approx. 2 cups shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 6 small yellow corn tortillas
*sliced jalapeno peppers, olives, or frozen corn optional
- Preheat oven to 425o and have a casserole dish ready. Most sizes will work fine, but if it is too small for the amount of ingredients, the tortillas will not bake as well on top.
- Fry the ground beef or ground turkey and drain excess fat when done. While the meat is cooking, slice the tortillas into thin 1/2" strips and cut in half. Add the prepared soup, salsa, and tortillas. Mix well. (If you're using jalapenos, olives, or corn, add now).
- Leave ingredients in pan on medium heat for a few minutes and stir to heat evenly. Add about 1/2 of the cheese in the mixture and spread into a casserole dish. (Tip: Try to leave several of the tortilla strips sticking above the mixture because they get crispy and it is extra good that way!)
- After the mixture is spread evenly, top with the rest of the cheese. You can also top with fresh diced tomatoes, or more jalapenos and olives if you prefer. Bake at 425o for about 20 minutes, or until cheese and tortillas are crispy on top.
- Let cool for a couple minutes. It's great topped with sour cream! (Heidi's favorite is lots of Tabasco!)