Makes: Over 2 1/2 dozen cookies, depending on the cutout sizes.
Prep: 20 minutes. (plus chilling time) Bake: 350° for 10-12 minutes.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses (warmed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons warm water
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz. confectioners sugar
- 1-2 tbs. milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring if desired
- In large bowl, cream shortening, sugar, egg and warmed molasses. Dissolve baking soda in warm water and add to egg mixture. Beat until smooth. Mix in flour, spices and salt until well blended. Cover and chill for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets. Roll out dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch on a floured surface. Cut out gingerbread men using cookie cutters and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Decorate with icing. (See icing recipe.)
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm. Let cool on wire racks.
To make icing:
- The recipe calls for 4 oz. confectioners sugar, but depending on how much you want to make, you can add more or less sugar to get the proper consistency, which is just a little thinner than toothpaste.
- Mix confectioners sugar with 1-2 tbs. milk to get thickness you desire. You can also mix in a small amount of vanilla, but remember it will change the coloring if you want white.
- Spoon icing into a pastry bag with desired tip, or use small plastic bags and just cut off the very tip of the corner.